We must admit that sugar is taking a big part of our diet. In the rush to finish all the work task and home errands, we often fail to pay attention to what we actually intake with the foods we consume on a daily basis. Usually, all kinds of sweets, pastries, biscuits and soft drinks take part in our cozy afternoons and nights spent in front of the TV and computer. In such moments we are not aware of the amount of sugar we intake and the damage we cause to our health with that.
You may say that you watch what you eat and do not consume sugar-loaded foods and drinks. Sorry to disappoint you, there aren't healthy sweeteners in your favourite fruit yogurt, cereals and granola bars, instead there are big amounts of refined sugar added in your favourite healthy foods, much more than you could imagine. Moreover, there is sugar in foods you couldn't imagine that contain sugar. In particular, you consume sugar when eating canned soup, tomato sauce, salad dressing and even white refined bread.
Truth be told, giving up all those sweet comfort foods is not easy at all. It takes a lot of effort which usually ends up with sugar cravings. But that's doesn't mean that there's no solution for your sugar addiction. Did you know that life can be sweet without sugar? Yes, as long as you replace it with healthy sweeteners.
There are many healthy sweeteners that are healthy alternative to the refined white sugar. With such sweeteners you don't have to give up the sweet taste of your coffee, tea or favourite cookies. Some of them are even sweeter than the sugar but do not contain the amount of calories loaded in sugar. Here are some of the healthy sweeteners that will help you ditch sugar and still enjoy the sweet taste.
- SteviaStevia is one of the most popular healthy sweeteners enjoyed by numerous nutrition minded consumers. It is organic sweetener extracted from the leaves of a plant “Stevia Rebaudiana”. Stevia has much sweeter taste than sugar but contains no calories and has positive impact on health.
- HoneyHoney is with no doubt the oldest natural sweetener. It is produced by bees that extract the nectar from flowers. Aside from providing sweet taste, Honey is associated with an array of positive health benefits. However, you should consume honey in moderation because it does contains calories.
- MolassesThis is one of the most nutritious healthy sweeteners. Molasses is in fact the product that is derived from the final stage of the sugar production process. Molasses is not only sweet, it has been proven to contain many essential nutrients including: iron, magnesium and calcium.
- Rice SyrupRice syrup is a natural sweetener that is derived from culturing rice with enzymes. The enzymes with which the rice is treated, derive the natural sweet starches, which are separated from the liquid and cooked until the desired consistency afterwards.
- Barely MaltBarely malt is one of the many healthy sweeteners produced from plants. This natural and healthy sweetener is made through fermentation of the grain. It is consisted of complex carbohydrates.
- Date SugarEven if it might sound strange to you, it's true, there is a sweeteners made from dates. Dates are known for their high content of natural sugar, and many essential nutrients, minerals and fiber. Date sugar comes packed with all those nutrients.